Friday, December 30, 2005

NYC roadtrip aborted & A History of Violence

I was all set to go. Take rte 78 to NYC and see those final few films I need in order to complete my Top 10 List for the year - Cache, Match Point, L'Intrus. It was early morning - sun barely peeking through the clouded horizon - and I had New York New York strumming through my head. And then it hit. The signs said road construction ahead / expect delays. I was mildly frustrated with knowing I would have to wait, but I had plenty of time - didn't I? Well, after about an hour sitting (not moving but a few feet every seven minutes or so) I get to the place where I first read the ROAD CLOSED sign. What the fuck!!!? I have already wasted an hour, and now I am told there would probably be a second hour to get through the detour. Goddammit !!! They couldn't have mentioned this earlier? Well, after speeding through some bumfuck town called Hamburg Pa, I headed home in despair.

But wait, things may look up suddenly. There is a press screening of Match Point on Tuesday (the third) in Philadelphia (where hopefully no roads will be closed) and next Thursday (when I will take a different route to NY), not only will I be able to see Cache and L'Intrus, but also the six hour Italian film, Best of Youth (making a one-week only reprise at Cinema Village, the first place I ever saw a film in NY). It actually looks as if it will be better to go next Thursday (the fifth) than it would have been today. Sure, my Best of 2005 article will need to be postponed (from the first to the sixth), but that's not too bad, is it? I will still be able to send it to Engin's site in time. All is well in filmland...

As for other end-of-year news: The Village Voice's annual poll - Take 7 - is out and A History of Violence is the big winner (by the largest margin in Voice Poll history - which wd be seven years btw). Maybe next year I will be invited to participate - since they ignored my request this year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home