Monday, January 16, 2006

The Globes are History

What a night at The Golden Globes !! Although my predictive powers seemed to have waned since last year. I went just 6 for 13 (as opposed to 8 for 13 last year) while my wife (who beat me at Oscar pix in 1999, 2000, 2002 & 2003 - tying me in 2001 and losing to me in 1998 & 2004) went 8 for 13.

As a side note (although I never listed the TV side of things on my site or here) my prediction rate for the entire night was just 10 for 24 (while Amy's was 11 for 24). Aaarghhhh!!!!!

Of course I went out on a limb and picked Heath over Philip and Maria over Felicity, so I suppose I deserved to lose just for my faux chutzpah. Another one I got wrong was picking Clooney over Lee for Director, although BP and Director usually don't mesh at the Globes - they did this year though.

Winners are as follows:

Pic-drama: Brokeback Mountain
Pic-com/mus: Walk the Line
Director: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mt.
Actress-drama: Huffman, Transamerica
Actress-com/mus: Queen Reese of Hollywoodland
Actor-drama: Hoffman, Capote
Actor-com/mus: Phoenix, Walk the Line
Supp Actress: Rachel weisz, Constant Gardener
Supp Actor: Clooney, Syriana
Screenplay: McMurtrey & Ossana, Brokeback Mountain
Score: John Williams, Memoirs of a Geisha
Song: Emmy Lou/Taupin etc, Brokeback Mt.
Foreign: Paradise Now

Some notes on the show: I knew Clooney had to win something, so I guess Supporting Actor was his consolation prize. I was so hardpressed to pick between Michelle & Rachel for Supporting Actress, I would have been happy either way. Reese Witherspoon is indeed the new Queen of the Red Carpet (sorry Julia) - and she looked fantastical, didn't she!? There were some nice speeches on the TV side of things, with both Steve Carrell and Geena Davis being right on!! No real surprises though - except it was great to see Mary-Louise Parker win out over four Desperate Housewives. Good to see Munich fail to grab either of the awards it was up for, so maybe this seals Walk the Line's chances for that fifth Oscar spot - especially after winning the three top awards in its comedy/musical categories.

Overall, Brokeback won four, Walk the Line three and The Constant Gardener, Memoirs of A Geisha, Capote, Transamerica, Paradise Now & Syriana each won one. Nothing for A History of Violence, Match Point, Pride & Prejudice, Squid & the Whale, King Kong.

And in case you missed it at the beginning, here is a link to my Golden Globes page where you can read up on how poorly I did at predicting them this year. And since Amy did so well at her guesses (well, not that well, just less sucky than I did), when Oscar Night comes and we have our annual party, I'll list her predix on my site next to mine - as well as those of Cinematheque corrospondant (and nafarious Oscar grubber) Albert H. Muth (our record is 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003 for him and 1998 & 2004 for me) and possibly others such as Harrisburg Film Festival coordinator and Filmspeak.com founder, Todd Shill and Harrisburg Patriot-News Film Critic Li Wang (if they're go for it that is). We'll see who the real Oscar Champion is (hint hint, pick me, ooh ooh pick me!!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home