Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Where are all the Surprises ??

I'm currently updating my Oscar Predix pages when the preoccupying thought of how stale everything has become wafts over me with a its stinging breath (how dramatic was that?). For the past few years it seems as if the same people would take all the precurser awards and come Oscar Nom Morning there would be no surprises, and it looks like that again this year. Sure, as wrapped up in the whole Oscar thing as I get (and YES, it is an important national holiday in my wife and my's household!!), it would be hard to surprise me. Even longshots and/or darkhorses such as Joan Allen, Frank Langella, Gong Li or Jeff Daniels would still not surprise, since I do think they are capable of sneaking in if lucky. What we need is a bonafide suprise come January 31st. Something like Keisha Castle Hughes in 2003 or Ethan Hawke in 2001. We need something shocking, so to perpetuate that, here are a couple of "For Your Considerations" for the Academy:

FYC #1: Q'Orianka Kilcher in The New World
FYC #2: Steve Coogan in Happy Endings
FYC #3: Wong Kar-wai for 2046

Okay, none of these are ever going to happen, but I must say that in order for them to stay a surprise come that fateful Tuesday Morning.

Oh, and also, I would like to mention a milestone. You see, this is my fiftieth blog entry (yayyy me!!). Which brings me to another related topic (celebration is over btw).

When I first built my blog, my friend and Cinematheque Correspondant, Albert H. Muth and my wife, renowned multi-published poet Jeanette Trout, both called me a sellout for going to a form as commonplace and pedestrian as the blog. But now, fifty entries later, I still stand by my decision to start a blog. Over on my site (which you should have bookmarked and should read regularly), I concentrate on film critiques, my unhealthy obsession with lists lists lists and more lists and (of course) The Oscars, but I never find room for all those other thoughts rambling ramshod through my brain. Thoughts that would have no other home if not for this here blog. Hell, I even have one entry talking about the similarities in the Gyllenhaal's sex scenes this year (and yes, I am talking about getting it from behind). This is a forum for my over;load of thoughts and a forum for that it will stay.

I suppose I should get back to my Oscar Predix updates and stop all this blathering, but when I finish my updates I will announce it right here. It will probably be entry number 51, unless of course I come up with some other aside to traggle on and on about; in that case it will be #52 or 53 or 54 or...okay okay, I'll go already!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home