Thursday, February 02, 2006

2006: The Films Just Aren't There Yet

I've taken notice recently that I have yet to see a 2006 movie. Sure, I've seen films at last year's festivals that have yet to open theatrically in the US (Tristram Shandy, The Sun, Gabrielle) or have just recently opened (the sadly disappointing Manderlay), and I have three dvd's sitting by my all-region dvd player as we speak (Clean, The Wayward Cloud & Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) that will eventually recieve 2006 US releases, but, as of today, the second of February, on the day of the Groundhog, I have yet to watch an actual 2006 release in a theatre in the year 2006.

This - of course - has a lot to do with the wasted celluloid put up on screens during the Oscar races. Full of mainly crapola that even the studios know won't fly, instead opting to push their respective Oscar nominees. I have gone back and re-viewed some of my favourites from 2005 (The New World & Brokeback Mountain) and caught up on the dvd releases of some films I had missed earlier last year (40 Year Old Virgin, Happy Endings, Grizzly Man), but still nothing from 2006...yet.

I am very interested in Soderbergh's Bubble - released simultaneously in theatres, on dvd and on HDTV cable. Since it's playing no closer than Philadelphia, and I haven't taken a press screening trip down there yet in the new year, I'll watch it on dvd (not the best - it is ALWAYS better to watch a film in a theatre!!). The first theatrical release I am really looking forward to is V for Vendetta - coming out on St. Patrick's Day. It is Number 10 on my Most Anticipated List this year - and is a definate strong contender for next year's Best Poster Design Award at the 3rd Annual Cinematheque Awards. After that will be a barrage of films (Prairie Home Companion, L'Enfant, The Inside Man and such) and I will also be attending the Film Comment Selects Festival at Walter Reade later this month, as well as heading back to Phila for some screenings (maybe I'll catch Bubble there?).

But as far as right now? I am mildly interested in films like Underworld: Evolution and When A Stranger Calls, but mainly for how Kate Beckinsale looks in skin-tight black leather and the total cheese factor, respecively. At this point last year, I had only seen two 2005 releases (White Noise & Elektra) and disliked both - and it wouldn't be until mid-April (just after the Phila. Film Fest) that I was once again going to the theatre to see "new" films on a regular basis. So what will the first one be? I may possibly wait until Firewall - it looks ridiculous but Harrison Ford is still The Man (Han Solo Forever!!!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home